New York surfers are unique, they have a remarkable passion. Just like New York City, one of the most populous urban agglomerations and the culture capital of the world, the city surfer is everyone: men, women, pro surfers, artists, firefighters, and people of every ethnicity. It is a wealth of humanity and it is brilliant.
It was a foggy, cold Friday in May when I discovered Rockaway Beach. Driving over the bridge onto the peninsula put me in another world. Surrounded by concrete, dark shadows and whispering winds, I wondered who surfs here. I still remember my first steps on the beach, looking at the surf break and surfers appearing through the fog. There was an energy that spoke to me, that day sparked my love affair between my lens, surfer and the ocean.
On the beach everything is raw, uncontrolled, and spontaneous. The light changes constantly and every wave is different. The surfer is my art form, and the ride is their expression. It is a creative conversation, an exchange. As a photographer I chase the light. The surfers chase the ride. When all the variables line up, we share a perfect, fleeting moment.
Andreea Waters is a photographer who focuses on the human aspect in connection with their environment, lifestyle and culture. Originally from Bucharest, Romania, in May 2012 she discovered Rockaway Beach, NY, where her documentary about the New York surf culture began. In February 2016, Andreea published her photography book titled, Surf NYC - a visual story, a gift to surfers and celebration of the unique spirit of New York's ocean community.
Surfing in New York City is mad. Breaks are hard to access, waves are inconsistent, winter (which produces the best waves) is brutal. Follow dedicated wave hunters to the end of the A-train and beyond and peek into this passionate way of life through authentic photography and several surfers’ personal journeys.
Surf NYC book is featured in The Guardian, Wired Magazine, Gothamist, Slate, Norwegian Magazine, Blonde Magazine, Westchester Magazine, surf, lifestyle and fashion networks and blogs. Surf NYC is currently sold world wide including book, lifestyle and gift stores, hotels and online shops.
- Permanent Collection | Museum of The City of New York, New York, NY
- Permanent Gallery | Julia B. Fee Sotheby's International Realty, Irvington, NY
- Finalist, Central Florida Lifestyle Magazine Art Contest | The Alfond Inn, Winter Park, FL 
- Group Show: Firing, Women Photograph | Winter Studios, Brooklyn, NY 
- Group Show: Firing, Women Photograph | Picture Farm Gallery, Brooklyn, NY 
- Solo Exhibit & Surf NYC Book Launch | Picture Farm Gallery, Brooklyn, NY 
- Two Person Photo Show: Surf NYC & Landscape is A Verb | Square Peg Gallery, Hastings-on-Hudson, NY 
- Group Show: Rising Waters, Photographs of Sandy | Museum of The City of New York, New York, NY 
- Photography Multimedia: Adventures Across The Seven Seas | Photoville NYC, Brooklyn, NY 
- Photography Multimedia: Adventures Across The Seven Seas | Southampton Arts Center, Southampton, NY